Apples and cinnamon are a heavenly duo in this recipe for Classic Apple Turnovers. These crispy treats are perfect for breakfast or dessert!
Who doesn’t love Apple Turnovers? I mean what is better than sweet, warm apple and cinnamon baked in pastry?
I first posted this recipe in 2014. A few months after I first started this site, but I never got to post the preparation photos so it was on my list of things to do.
Last week I finally got around to making them again and after being on a diet for months now, these turnovers pushed me over the edge and I couldn’t resist. I ate two of them before they were even cooled. Let me tell you, it was well worth cheating for because they were absolutely amazing!
I think I knew I would cave when I was making the filling. Who could resist such a site?
It took me a while to perfect this recipe. My first attempt had a filling that was too wet and it was impossible to close them and keep them closed (that day, we made more of an apple rollover than an apple turnover).
I learned from that and this recipe was the end result. I have to admit, they turned out fantastic and although they are best served warm they were really good cold too!
I’ll tell you what – my son never stops asking for them!
To keep things simple, I have created the recipe using store bought puffed pastry.
- 4 medium sized cooking apples of choice peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter - melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 17.25 ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets thawed
- For the Cream Cheese icing:
- 6 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-4 tablespoons warm milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- On a floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12-inch by 12-inch (30cm by 30cm) square. Cut each sheet into 4 squares and make sure they stay chilled until you are ready to use them.
- Combine the lemon juice and diced apples in a bowl to prevent them from turning brown. Add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and melted butter. Mix to combine.
- Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper/grease proof paper. Brush the top with egg wash, make a small slit on the top of each turnover, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- For the cream cheese icing: mix the cream cheese butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add warm milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle each turnover with icing.
- Serve warm.