Quick and Easy Spaghetti Bolognese
With this Spaghetti Bolognese recipe, the technique of the Italian classic has been simplified so you can create a tasty meal in under 30 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 good sized handful fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound spaghetti
- Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese for serving optional
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fry another minute.
Add the ground beef; fry until fully cooked and no pink shows at all in the meat (about 8 minutes). Add the oregano and tomato paste and mix with the meat.
Add the tomatoes, parsley, and bring to a boil. Season with the salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for at least 15 minutes (you can cook longer for a deeper flavor).
In the meantime, cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Drain and serve topped with the sauce and cheese (if using).
- Use lean, low-fat meat to avoid a greasy sauce.
- Seasoning the meat with salt and pepper adds an extra kick of flavor which is key to speeding up the cooking time of this sauce.
- Make this sauce your own by adding whatever fresh or dried herbs of your choice or even some red wine which can be added and cooked down before adding the tomatoes.
- When adding the dried oregano, try rubbing it between your palms to release maximum flavor.
- Use good quality tomatoes when shopping for ingredients - don’t skimp, the better quality the tomatoes, the better the sauce will be.
- If you have the time, simmering the sauce for longer will add a deeper flavor.
- For extra depth of flavor, add a half cup of the wine of your choice before adding the tomatoes
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 3.5mg