Simple Marinara Sauce
This wonderfully rich marinara sauce is versatile and tasty. Perfect with pasta.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes crushed
- a couple of good handfuls of fresh basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the garlic for about a minute until lightly browned (being careful not to let it get too dark). Add the tomatoes & basil, season with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- When cooking the garlic, cook until it just starts to brown before adding the tomatoes. Garlic burns easily and will become bitter when overcooked.
- The basil should add enough sweetness to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but if you feel it needs more sweetness, add sugar a half teaspoon at a time until it has the desired sweetness.
- Seasoning is key to a quick cook sauce. Season well with salt. Taste between small additions, allow to dissolve and add until it's perfectly seasoned.
Calories: 45kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 10mg | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 5mg