Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese
This recipe for Homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese is quick and super simple! It's comfort food in a bowl!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 lb pasta of your choice
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 4 cups Milk
- ¾ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1 cup Gouda Cheese Shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cook the pasta about a minute less than to the package instructions (you want it just underdone), drain well and set aside.
In a medium saucepan melt the butter and then mix in the flour and mustard powder to form a paste. While mixing constantly, slowly pour in the milk until smooth and it starts to thicken.
Mix in the Parmesan cheese until combined.
Mix in the cheddar and Gouda cheese until melted.
Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Mix in the pasta until well coated and serve.
- Salt your pasta water well. The best cheese sauce in the world can't make p for bland pasta.
- Choose a pasta shape that will have plenty of areas to catch the sauce.
- Be sure not to overcook the pasta. You want it with a little bite to it instead of soft.
- When making your white sauce, cook the flour well, stir constantly, and don't allow the milk to boil.
- Swap out the cheeses for any cheese you like that melts well.
- For an extra cheesy dish, mix in some extra shredded cheese when serving.
Can you freeze Mac and Cheese?
To freeze Mac and Cheese, cook the pasta until just underdone, drain and rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process. Add a half cup of cooled cheese sauce to every cup of pasta, coat evenly and pack in an airtight container or a freezer bag.
Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 830IU | Calcium: 456mg | Iron: 1.2mg