The best apple turnover you will ever have. Made with a buttery, flaky puff pastry shell that's filled a sweet, tart apple & cinnamon filling and glazed with a cream cheese icing.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Cooling Time 5 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 turnovers
- 4 medium-sized cooking apples of choice peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter - melted
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed
- For the Cream Cheese icing:
- 2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoons butter melted
- 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Combine the lemon juice and diced apples in a bowl to prevent them from turning brown. Add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and melted butter. Mix to combine. Set aside.
On a floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12-inch by 12-inch (30cm by 30cm) square. Cut each sheet into 4 squares and make sure they stay chilled until you are ready to use them.
Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper/greaseproof paper. Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square.
Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork.
Brush the top with egg wash, make a small slit on the top of each turnover, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Let cool for 5 minutes.
For the cream cheese icing:
- Apples brown quickly, so be sure to coat them with lemon juice while you prepare the dough.
- Make a small slit on the top of each turnover to keep them from bursting the seam.
- Be careful not to overfill - Overfilling the turnovers may cause them to break open.
- Don't overwork the pastry. Puff pastry is delicate if you over-roll or use too much force, lose some of the flakiness and it may not puff up when baked.
- To easily trim the pastry, use a sharp paring knife or pizza cutter.
- If the dough becomes too soft to manage, just place it in the fridge for a few minutes and it will firm back up.
- Allow the apple turnovers to cool slightly before serving - The filling will be hot.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 50g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 0.3mg