Homemade Lentil Soup
This warming and budget-friendly vegetarian soup is an Italian classic. Satisfying and simple to make, this homemade soup is a great dinner or leftover for lunch.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound green or brown lentils
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed or chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- A good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes before draining.
In a large stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent - about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the oregano, cumin, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 more minutes.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the lentils and vegetables are cooked through.
Check for seasoning and serve.
- Lentil Soup often becomes quite thick during cooking or storing. If it gets a bit too thick simply thin it out with a little water or stock.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 1233mg | Fiber: 25g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5385IU | Vitamin C: 12.5mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 6.8mg