The Best Fettuccine Alfredo of Your Life
Craving a comforting bowl of pasta in a creamy sauce? This luxurious Italian dish takes just 20 minutes to make so perfect for busy weeknights.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 5 servings
- 1 pound Fettuccine
- 2 cups heavy cream (UK double cream)
- 1 clove garlic peeled and left whole (optional)
- 1 stick salted butter softened
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
In a large pot, cook the Fettuccine until just undercooked. It will finish cooking in the sauce.
While the pasta is cooking, in a deep saute pan, heat the cream and garlic (if using) over low-medium heat.
Add butter and whisk gently until melted. Remove and discard the garlic. Mix in the nutmeg and cheese. Season with freshly grated black pepper.
Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta cooking liquid. Add it to the pan, gently toss the pasta to coat in the Alfredo sauce (adding some of the pasta water if needed to loosen).
Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- When cooking pasta, add enough salt to the water so that it seasons the pasta. The best sauce in the world cannot fix bland pasta. Chefs will tell you that the cooking water should taste like the ocean so don't be shy. If you're not sure - taste the water!
- Cook the pasta until just underdone and allow it to finish cooking in the sauce so it can absorb the flavors and marry with the sauce.
- Don't use oil - Adding oil to the pasta water to coating it before adding to the sauce will make the sauce slip right off instead of coating it as desired.
- Some Parmesan cheese is quite salty, so be sure to taste as you season.
Calories: 899kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 61g | Saturated Fat: 37g | Cholesterol: 265mg | Sodium: 457mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2140IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 1.9mg