Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce
A good Spaghetti Sauce can be used in many ways. Make a big batch of this delicious tomato sauce and have it on hand whenever you need it.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 medium onion peeled and quartered
- 2 stalks of celery cleaned and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 4 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 good handful fresh flatleaf parsley chopped
- 1 good handful fresh basil chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Add the onion, carrots, and celery and to a food processor and chop it into small pieces.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and saute the onion, celery, and carrots until they are soft and no liquid is being released from them.
In the middle of the softened vegetables, form a well, add the remaining olive oil, followed by the garlic. Allow the garlic to brown slightly (being careful not to let it burn).
Mix in the tomatoes and herbs.
Add seasoning, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
If you like a thinner sauce you can add it to the food processor and puree into your desired consistency or if you like a thicker sauce, skip this step.
This recipe called for crushed tomatoes, but I use whole canned tomatoes that I crush myself.
What Tomatoes to Choose
When buying Canned tomatoes, it's always a good idea to go for whole plum tomatoes. Manufacturers save the best quality tomatoes for canning whole because they need to look pristine. They are picked and canned at the peak of ripeness.
- If the tomatoes you are using taste high in acid, adding sugar 1/2 tablespoon at a time (tasting in between) will cut the acid.
- This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated for two days.
- If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, they can be substituted for dried. Dried parsley has next to no flavor so I suggest using oregano in its place.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 38mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5220IU | Vitamin C: 5.5mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 0.2mg