This recipe for Spring Minestrone is simple and flavorful soup makes the most of Springtime vegetables.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced or finely sliced
- 2 leeks cleaned and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan rind (optional but if you can get a hold of it, it adds a lot of flavor).
- 1 good handful of flat leaf parsley chopped, including the stems
- 2 zucchini halved long ways and sliced
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach washed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces dry pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
Add the garlic and cook another minute.
Add the leeks and cook until they start to soften slightly
Add the stock, Parmesan rind (if using) and parsley. Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil. Once the soup has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
While the soup simmers, cook the pasta according to package instructions and set aside until needed.
Add the zucchini and simmer another two minutes.
Add the spinach and simmer an additional two minutes.
Remove from heat, remove the rind with a slotted spoon and discard.
Add the cooked pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
serve with grated Parmesan cheese
Calories: 513kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 685mg | Potassium: 725mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1140IU | Vitamin C: 27.7mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 3.2mg