Potato Leek Soup
Whip up this simple soup as a starter for a dinner party or a light supper when you need a bit of comfort – it has a beautiful silky texture.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- ½ stick butter
- 4 large leeks whites only, thoroughly washed
- 3 lbs potatoes (about 6 large) peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese optional - to top the soup
- 1 handful chives chopped
In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the leeks and cook over low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and pour over the stock. Cover and cook for 20 - 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to puree.
Ladle out additional stock until the potatoes are just covered (see image)
Using a hand blender, puree the soup, ladling in reserved stock until it forms your desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with the cheese and chives sprinkled on top.
- When pureeing the soup, add the reserved stock a little at a time. The more stock you add the thinner the soup will be.
- If you don't have a hand blender, you can use a food processor or conventional blender too.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 644kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 801mg | Potassium: 1755mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2445IU | Vitamin C: 48.1mg | Calcium: 565mg | Iron: 13.1mg