Victoria Sponge Cake with Buttercream
A traditional Victoria sandwich cake is an English baking classic made up of a moist yet fluffy vanilla sponge cake filled with rich buttercream and fruity jam!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 10 slices
For the cake:
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 2¼ cup Butter very soft
- 6 eggs
- 2¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
For the filling:
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup icing sugar plus a little to sprinkle on top
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup good quality strawberry or raspberry jam
For the cake:
Place all of the ingredients for the cake in a mixer or food processor and blend until everything is mixed.
Split the batter between 2 greased 8 inch round pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
To assemble the cake:
Spread the buttercream over the bottom of one of the sponges.
Then spread on the strawberry or raspberry jam.
Sandwich them together. Dust the cake with a bit of powdered sugar right before serving.
- This All in One bowl method is much quicker and easier than traditional ‘creamed’ methods of making sponge cake. It’s hassle free, but it does require your butter to be really soft.
- If you're more comfortable with the creaming method, just cream the butter and sugar together and then just dump in everything else and mix until blended.
- You can use a food processor or an electric mixer to prepare the batter.
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 129mg | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 955IU | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg