Classic British Flapjacks
Whip up a batch of these buttery, chewy, sweet treats in no time flat! They're perfect for bake sales and after-school snacks.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 bars
- 10 tablespoons salted butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup or pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Old fashioned/rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 375F
Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, syrup, vanilla and cook until the sugar is dissolved and fluid (being careful not to boil).
Add the oats and mix until well coated.
Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Use old fashioned rolled oats. Instant oats won't work in this recipe.
- If in the US, use pure maple syrup as opposed to pancake syrup as pancake maple syrup may be too sweet.
- When melting the butter and sugar together cook over low heat. Higher heat can end up hard and taffy-like.
- When baking, watch closely and remove from the oven when the edges are golden. Overcooking may result in a hard, crunchy flapjack.
- For a crisper flapjack, use a shallower baking pan and bake at a higher temperature.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 87mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.7mg