Welcome, Springtime with this healthy, flavor-packed and satisfying recipe for Spring Vegetable Soup. It’s packed with plenty of in-season vegetables, a kick of garlic and some pasta to make it hearty enough to be eaten as a meal.
I love it when the first day of Spring arrives. Spring and fall are by far my favorites. In the fall, I can’t wait to get stuck into creating recipes for stews and comfort foods that come along with the cooler weather, but when spring arrives, we’re all ready for the sunshine and warmth.
Unfortunately, in a lot of places, it’s just not that warm yet. This soup is a bit of warmth, but also a bit of a reminder that spring will soon be upon us.
It’s packed with zucchini, leeks and spinach (that are all Spring vegetables) with some carrots and celery for flavor (and a splash of color). I also have an amazing recipe for Spring Minestrone, try it, soup doesn’t need to be bland!
Like most of my soup recipes, it also has a nice, Italian kick of garlic that brings it all together. I have mine with plenty of Parmesan cheese and some pasta thrown in, but if you’d rather it be a little less filling, you can always skip the pasta (but I highly recommend the cheese).
So if like me, you’re loving the bright sun and the sounds of birds chirping, but it’s still pretty cold outside – this bowl of Springtime might be just what you need.
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Spring Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or finely sliced
- 2 leeks cleaned and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 a good handful of flatleaf parsley chopped, including the stems
- 2 zucchini/courgettes halved long ways and sliced
- 1-8 ounce /250g bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounce /225g pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the leeks, celery, and carrots. Cook until they start to soften slightly
- Add the stock and parsley. Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil. Once the soup has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook the pasta according to package instructions and set aside until needed.
- Add the zucchini and simmer another two minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer an additional two minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- serve with grated Parmesan cheese