This recipe for Slow Cooked Chinese Duck with Plums is tender duck in a savory, yet fruity sauce which results in a meal that’s guaranteed to impress.
I love duck, but can’t say I ever made it before this. It’s not something my mother ever made growing up so I guess I never got into cooking it.
That said, there are certain restaurants that I go to that I order the duck each and every time I go there. I always look at the menu, but never fail to go back to the duck.
This recipe is based on a dish I order every time I go to a local Chinese restaurant. They serve it with the halved cooked plums as well and I think it’s a great spin on traditional duck in plum sauce.
This recipe is full of flavor. The meat turns out melt in your mouth tender and the sweet & savory combination of the sauce just makes the whole dish!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Slow Cooked Chinese Duck with Plums
This rich, fruity, slow cooker recipe makes an elegant main course that's special enough to serve for dinner parties or special occasions.
- 4 Duck Legs
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 Green Onions Sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Cups Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup plum jam
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 4 star anise
- 5-6 pitted plums halved
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Dry fry the duck legs in a frying pan over low heat until the fat starts to run off them. Then increase the heat to brown the legs on both sides. Remove from the pan and add them to the slow cooker.
Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the duck fat from the pan. Add the onion and fry until they start to soften a but. Add 1⁄2 the green onions, garlic and ginger. Fry for another minute.
- sprinkle with the flour and stir to coat. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Stir in the chicken stock slowly avoiding lumps.
- Stir in the vinegar, honey, fish sauce, and hoisin sauce.
- Add the plum jam and stir until it melts into the sauce.
- add the Chinese five spice, star anise and the plums. Mix to combine and pour over the duck legs in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- Add the remainder of the green onions before serving and serve on rice or Chinese noodles.