This recipe for Roasted Squash & Red Onion Pasta makes a satisfying and healthy supper that gives Italian pasta an autumnal twist. This recipe also makes the perfect vegetarian dinner party dish. If you love a squash recipe, check out my Winter Squash Soup, Cheesy Pasta Stuffed Roasted Squash and Buttery & Sweet Roasted Squash Mash. All your Fall recipes covered.
Butternut squash is a real seasonal favorite that brings loads of color to so many recipes – I’ve seen recipes for butternut squash soup, stews, and even butternut squash muffins, but you don’t often see pasta and squash together very often.
I based this recipe on one I found in a BBC cookbook years ago. The original recipe called for some sort of cream, but I wanted to make a low fat, healthy meal. Using the pasta water and mixing it with crushed roasted garlic, makes a really flavorful and healthy sauce that uses no added fat.
I also roast the vegetables using a low-fat cooking spray (although the recipe calls for olive oil). That way, I can load it up with plenty of grated cheese without the added calories or guilt!
This is really simple to make. You start by cutting the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
Coat it in olive oil (or low-fat cooking spray), seasoning and roast it for 30 minutes.
Toss it with the pasta, some of the pasta water and Parmesan cheese and it’s pretty much it (of course I skipped a few small steps, but it’s really quite easy and packed with flavor).
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Roasted Squash & Red Onion Pasta
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves whole, peeled
½ pound penne
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil chopped
- grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400f/190C.
- Peel and de-seed the squash, then cut it into bite-sized pieces and add it to a roasting pan.
- Peel the onions and cut each, into eight wedges and add them to the pan.
- Add the garlic and coat it all with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and toss everything together.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water following the cooking time on the package.
- Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the cooking water.
- Remove the pan from the oven, smash the garlic with a spoon into a paste.
- Add the pasta and a bit of the cooking water and coat well with the garlic.
- Add some Parmesan cheese and mix to combine adding more pasta water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.