This recipe for Quick Rise Cinnamon Rolls uses a microwave to rise the dough. You can have yeast dough Cinnamon Rolls in about an hour! Try it and you won’t wait for your dough to rise again!
One of my favorite UK TV shows is the Great British Bake Off. I never miss an episode. This past week, one of the contestants used a microwave to rise her yeast dough to save on time. I couldn’t believe it! I never heard of such a thing and knew I had to try it. The next morning, I went straight to it. I mean homemade cinnamon rolls that you can have for breakfast without having to start the day before? I’m in!This idea worked so well for me that I used it again for my Quick Rise Chocolate & Salted Caramel Sticky Buns recipe and again for my one hour homemade Monkey bread which are equally delicious, so if this is your sort of thing, be sure to check it out! I promise you can’t have enough quick rise recipes so be sure to check back to see what else I end up doing!
Here’s what I did – I made the dough as I always do, but instead of leaving the dough to rise in a warm place, I put it in a bowl, covered it in plastic wrap, and set it aside while I put a mug full of hot water in the microwave on high for 3 minutes (just to add some moisture to the oven).
This is what the dough looked like before I started.
Then I put the microwave on the lowest possible setting (10% power) and put the bowl with the dough in it in for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes, I left the dough to rest without touching it in the microwave for another 3 minutes. This is what it looked like after that…
I was pretty impressed.
I then repeated the process, but this time I left the dough to rest for 5 minutes. and this is what it looked like after that…
Pretty amazing right?
Next, I rolled out the dough and added the filling followed by rolling it up and slicing it into the rolls.
I placed the rolls in a greased pan and reaped the rising process. This is what it looked like before…
and this is after…
After just over a half hour, my rolls were ready for the oven!
Beautiful right? I let them cool for 10 minutes, iced them and ate them warm! Let me tell you, they were soft and delicious and I couldn’t see one difference between these and the ones I make the traditional way!
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 1/4 cups milk hot milk about 110F/ 43C
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 3 - 4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 tablespoons melted butter plus more for pan
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in a 1/4 cup of the hot milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg.
- Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 minutes. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside.
- To rise:
- Place an 8-ounce cup of hot water into the microwave and heat on high for 3 minutes to moisten the oven.
- Remove the mug and place the bowl with the dough into the microwave and heat on it's lowest setting (10% power) for 3 minutes.
- Then let the dough rest in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Heat the dough (still on it's lowest setting) for another 3 minutes.
- then let the dough rest in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- When doubled in size, punch down dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough.
- Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 10 - 12 slices.
- Coat the bottom of a non metal baking pan with butter. Place the cinnamon rolls on the pan with a bit of room for the second rise (about 2 inches).
- Preheat the oven to 350f/175c
- repeat the rising process in the microwave.
- Bake on 350f/175c for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, In a mixing bowl whisk together cream cheese, the melted butter powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Add in more milk as needed 1 teaspoon at a time until it is the desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.