What’s more delicious than a classic peanut butter cookie? This recipe for Peanut Butter & Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. This deluxe dessert version with chocolate cream filling is just outrageous!
This recipe was my five-year-old son’s idea. He said the only thing that would make my peanut butter cookies recipe better was to put chocolate on them – so that’s exactly what I did. Be warned, the dark chocolate cream filling is addictive!
For the filling, I used a dark chocolate ganache which is unbelievably simple to make and oh so good! The key to the filling is to make sure you let it cool long enough to set so it’s not too soft when you bite into the cookie.
Also, if you plan to store these, I wouldn’t store them with the filling if you want to keep the cookie crisp. Within a day of being stored with the filling, these cookies will go soft (after taking on the moisture from the filling). If a soft cookie doesn’t bother you, than not to worry because they still taste fantastic!
Please note that this recipe includes Golden Syrup (although it’s optional) which is common in English baking and I’ve fallen in love with it since moving here. I think it adds an extra depth of flavor. I know it can be hard to find in the US, but you can buy it from here on Amazon.
JUST A HEADS UP – THE AMAZON LINK ABOVE IS AN AFFILIATE LINK, WHICH MEANS I MAKE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE.
Other Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
- Homemade Golden Oreos
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
For the cookie:
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar/Caster Sugar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons Golden Syrup or golden corn syrup
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 9 ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in peanut butter, followed by the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend into the peanut butter mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Shape into a log and chill until firm 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven 350f/180c
- Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Cut into ¼ inch/5mm thick slices, arrange onto a prepared cookie sheet, and bake 9-12 minutes (until golden).
- To make the Filling, heat the milk, brown sugar and the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling milk mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, or until it has thickened enough to be piped onto a cookie.
- Once the cookies have cooled, match them into pairs by size. Turn one cookie of each pair over so that the flat side is facing up.
- Place the filling into a piping bag with Pipe dots of the filling all around the flat face of each pair (as pictured). Top with the other cookie of each pair and press it onto the filling, so that it reaches the edges of cookies. Refrigerate for until set (about an hour) and then bring to room temperature to serve.