For the ultimate indulgence look no further than this recipe for Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake. Who can resist chocolate and caramel after all?
This amazing cake makes an impressive centerpiece for any party or family gathering. Serve alongside Double Chocolate Chip Muffins for the perfect spread.
This recipe was a mistake. A beautiful mistake, but a mistake all the same. It was born from a recipe development that went wrong but turned out amazing in the end.
I made a chocolate chip cake but found it wasn’t quite sweet enough. I had friends coming over and I wanted to save the cake. Inspiration struck and I made some caramel, drizzled it over the cake, and voila! Who wouldn’t love a chocolate cake with caramel?
Which Chocolate Is Best
I recommend Dark Chocolate that’s around 54.5% Cacao as it tastes great without being too sweet and also melts easily.
That said, you can use semi-sweet, bitter-sweet, dark, or milk chocolate chips too to make the filling. Just keep in mind that milk chocolate will make a much sweeter filling.
It will look like this cake has a lot of sugar because it calls for three different types, but each type of sugar is a fairly small amount. I used both dark and light brown sugar because I wanted different depths of flavor and the superfine, granulated sugar adds a bit more sweetness.
This is a truly delicious cake and I hope you enjoy it!
If caramel is your thing, I have an equally fabulous recipe for Caramel Banana Cake, give it a go, you just can’t lose with caramel.
Why This Recipe Works
- Using three types of sugar adds a depth of flavor that can’t be beat
- Dark chocolate chips add an indulgent taste to this great cake.
- Caramel that isn’t super sweet brings the dessert together perfectly.
How to Make Chocolate Chip caramel cake
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla
- Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Bake for around 30 minutes.
- Make the caramel.
- Drizzle the freshly baked cake with caramel.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Chocolate Chip Caramel Cake
For the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup light-brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
For the caramel topping:
- ½ cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or corn syrup
- 1 stick/113g butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 f/ 170c degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch silicone pan.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, dark brown sugar and superfine sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- Mix in the flour mixture by hand until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
For the caramel:
- Combine the sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes a light caramel color.
- Add the butter & milk, stir until smooth. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then pour over the cooled cake.
- Allow caramel to cool completely.
- Cut into slices and serve.