This recipe for Billionaire Shortbread has a crisp shortbread base with an indulgent salted caramel filling that’s topped with a layer of dark chocolate – pure heaven!
If you love Millionaire shortbread than you have to try Billionaire shortbread! This popular shortbread bake is placed in a whole new league with the addition of salted caramel. Once you try it, you’ll have to agree it’s one fantastic treat!
I’ll be honest, before moving to England, I never heard of Billionaire Shortbread (or millionaire shortbread for that matter), but after my first taste, I was won over and it’s still one of my very favorite things in the world!
I’ll never forget where I was the first time I tried Billionaire shortbread. It was on the train going to London for the very first time. My husband took me to a fantastic sandwich shop that’s near our local train station and that’s when I noticed them. The thick layer of shortbread followed by the caramel and chocolate was too much to resist! We added it to our order and I ate it on the train. I’ve been hooked ever since!
To make them, you start with the shortbread base.
Followed by making the caramel and pouring it over the shortbread to cool and set.
Once the caramel sets, you melt the chocolate.
Carefully smooth the chocolate over the caramel.
Leave to set completely before cutting or you’ll end up with the same beautiful, gooey mess I did!
Serve and enjoy every last bite.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
For the shortbread:
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 4⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the caramel:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or light corn syrup
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 12 ounces Dark Chocolate chopped
For the shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 350F/160C.Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Using a food processor or mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and brown sugar vigorously until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. It’s an important step to beat the butter and sugar well together when making shortbread as this ensures the shortbread is light, crisp and will hold together.In a separate bowl, sift the flour and salt. Add it to the butter mixture and mix until blended (forming large clumps).
- Turn onto a floured surface and using floured hands, press evenly into the prepared pan (including the sides).
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan.
For the caramel
- Combine the sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes a light caramel color.
Add the butter, salt & milk stir until smooth. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then pour over the cooled shortbread.Allow cooling completely.
For the topping
- Melt the chocolate melt chocolate in a microwaveable bowl for 30 seconds at a time (stirring in between) until the chocolate is smooth and fluid.Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and set aside until the chocolate has cooled completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.