Dish up a hearty bowl of comfort on a chilly day with this simple Beef & Barley Soup recipe. Comfort food at its best!
This filling and tasty dish is a cross between a soup and a stew and it’s perfect for melting away the chill on those coldest of days.
On a cold and rainy day, I love nothing more than a delicious bowl of comforting soup. Soup is my go-to dish, I love soups and this soup is one of my favorites.
As a child I remember going to a friend’s house and having beef and barley soup. I walked into the house and the whole place was filled with this amazing aroma of the home-cooked soup. I just had to recreate this soup and share it with you!
Why This Recipe Works
- The slow cook method ensures the most tender flavorful beef.
- Adding the vegetables later in the cooking process guarantees no sogginess!
- Fresh ingredients and herbs make this a wonderful alternative to packaged soups.
How to make beef & Barley soup
- Heat the oil. Brown the beef and remove it from the pan.
- Sautee onions celery and herbs in the pan.
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a minute.
- Return the meat to the pan, add stock, and simmer.
- Stir in the barley, carrots and potatoes, cook until tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
This soup is a flavorful, delicious soup that the entire family will enjoy on those cold and rainy days that just need a dish like this. Enjoy!
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Beef & Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ lbs stewing beef cubed
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 stalks of celery sliced
- 4 carrots sliced into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 4 cups beef stock
- 6 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- Heat the oil in a large, oven safe pan over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides in the olive oil.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions, celery and herbs to the pan, then cook for about 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Return the meat to the pan, pour over the stock, then bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the barley, carrots and potatoes, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for another 45 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.