Dish up a hearty bowl of comfort on a chilly day with this simple Beef & Barley Soup recipe. Comfort food at its best!
This filling and tasty dish is a cross between a soup and a stew and it’s perfect for melting away the chill on those coldest of days.
On a cold and rainy day, I love nothing more than a delicious bowl of comforting soup. Soup is my go-to dish, I love soups and this soup is one of my favorites.
As a child I remember going to a friend’s house and having beef and barley soup. I walked into the house and the whole place was filled with this amazing aroma of the home-cooked soup. I just had to recreate this soup and share it with you!
Why This Recipe Works
- The slow cook method ensures the most tender flavorful beef.
- Adding the vegetables later in the cooking process guarantees no sogginess!
- Fresh ingredients and herbs make this a wonderful alternative to packaged soups.
How to make beef & Barley soup
- Heat the oil. Brown the beef and remove it from the pan.
- Sautee onions celery and herbs in the pan.
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a minute.
- Return the meat to the pan, add stock, and simmer.
- Stir in the barley, carrots and potatoes, cook until tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
This soup is a flavorful, delicious soup that the entire family will enjoy on those cold and rainy days that just need a dish like this. Enjoy!
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Beef & Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ lbs stewing beef cubed
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 stalks of celery sliced
- 4 carrots sliced into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- small bunch fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 4 cups beef stock
- 6 medium potatoes cut into cubes
- Heat the oil in a large, oven safe pan over medium high heat.
- Working in batches, brown the beef on all sides in the olive oil.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions, celery and herbs to the pan, then cook for about 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Return the meat to the pan, pour over the stock, then bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the barley, carrots and potatoes, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for another 45 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Erren’s Kitchen is written and produced for informational intentions only. We are not certified nutritionists, and the nutritional information found on this site has not been assessed or authorized by a nutritionist or the FDA. The nutritional information found in our recipes is offered as an estimate and should not be considered a guarantee or fact. The estimated data is provided as a courtesy and calculated through a third-party online nutritional calculator, spoonacular API. Although we do our best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered rough estimates. Many factors, such as brands or products purchased and the nutritional fluctuations that naturally occur in fresh produce, can alter the effectiveness of the nutritional information in any recipe. Furthermore, various online calculators provide different results depending on their particular algorithms and nutrition fact sources. To obtain the most precise nutritional information in a provided recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the exact ingredients you are using when preparing the recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.