Slow Cooker Apple Sausage in Onion Gravy
6 hr 15 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 apple sausages if you can't get them use a sweet sausage and add 2 chopped apples along with the potatoes
- 4 medium red onions quartered
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cider the alcoholic kind
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt & pepper
- 8 - 10 baby potatoes cleaned
- 4 large Yorkshire puddings ready made or see recipe link in post
Preheat the slow cooker on low.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sausages, and fry over a medium high heat until browned. Transfer the sausages to the slow cooker.
Add the onions to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
Add the sugar and fry, stirring, for 3 more minutes until the onion slices are caramelized around the edges.
stir in the tomato paste.
Stir in the flour, then gradually add the cider followed by the stock. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, still stirring.
Pour over the sausages, cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the sausages are tender.
Serve in Yorkshire puddings.
Pages: 1 2